The Abu Sayyaf group has claimed responsibility for the explosion in a Davao City night market, Friday, that killed at least 14 and wounded 71 others, Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Mike Sueno said.
In an interview with DZRH News on Saturday morning, Sueno said that the terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the blast, adding that his office already had information about a possible attack from the Abu Sayyaf days ahead.
“Yes. We expected this already. Two or three days ago pa may intelligence na tayo about this,” Sueno said.
Radio DZMM also reported that Abu Sayyaf spokesperson Abu Rami said that the group owns up to the deadly attack.
The blast came days after the government has announced that it is reinforcing its deployment in Sulu to counter the Abu Sayyaf, this after 15 soldiers were slain by the terrorist group in fierce clashes last week in Jolo.
Davao City mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio extended her condolences to the families of those who died in the night explosion.
“I would also like to reassure all of them, as well as the families of those who are injured that the City Government of Davao will assist in all their needs for hospitalization, burial, funeral and day to day expenses. I am sorry for what happened,” Carpio said in a statement.
“I would like to remind other officials to stay within the bounds of their official duties according to their position. Please leave me in peace to do my job and I’ll leave you to focus on your own work,” she said.
“We will not be terrorized by this heinous crime and I call on all Dabawenyos to unite and let us help each other rise from this senseless incident. Let us remain vigilant, please report any and all suspicious activity, no matter how insignificant it may seem.”
Carpio added that a memorial will be held at the explosion site at 4 p.m. today where everyone is invited to offer prayers.