THE war against illegal drugs seems to be reaping fruits as the Philippine National Police data showed that as of July of this year, the number of crimes recorded across the country dropped by about 49 percent as against last year.
Amid an intensified anti-illegal drug campaign, PNP chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa said in his speech in police regional headquarters at Camp Alagar, Cagayan de Oro Friday that even before the first 50 days of the Duterte administration, the goal on alleviating crime incidence in the country is a way closer to realization.
He said that most of crimes committed by Filipinos are, if not all, drug-related.
“That’s why when we focused our resources and attention on the drug problem,” Dela Rosa said.
“This campaign is just starting,” he added.
In Northern Mindanao, for instance, the monthly crime volume down by 44 percent in July compared to the same period in the last two years.
PNP-10 data revealed that the crimes registered in the region in July 2016 is at 1,974, much lower than 2014’s totaled 3,983 and July 2015’s figures at 3,171 crimes.
With all the criticisms and controversies emanating from various sectors that strongly are against the Duterte’s administration way, Dela Rosa was firm that no letup in the PNP’s tough approach to fighting illegal drugs.
“Let us continue with our campaign as long as what we are doing is in compliance with the law and respect for human rights,” he said.